We have been in the used book business for over 40 years. Here are some of the words we use to describe our books:
- As new, as when published.
- Near Mint
- No defects, but not quite as new.
- Fine. Slight signs of use and/or light scuffing on the dust jacket
- Near Fine. Almost fine
- Very Good. No defects, minor wear, possible slight chipping, tears or wrinkles to dust jacket
- Good. Average used book. No pages missing. Boards show wear. DJ has tears or small pieces missing.
- Well worn but complete text. May lack end papers. Jacket and binding may be badly worn.
- Badly worn but complete text legible.
- The Front Free End Paper, or the fly-leaf, or first moving page of a normal book.
- Dust jacket or dust wrapper.
- Front paste down = The paper pasted to the inside front board of a book.
- RPD, or BPD
- Rear paste down = The paper pasted to the inside rear board of a book.
- A soft cover or paperback
- Remainder Mark
- A book that has an ink stamp, pen mark or spray, usually on the bottom edge of the pages of the book.